Watch the recording here:
We can’t go back to business-as-usual after the pandemic.
Before COVID-19 almost half of Canadians were living paycheque to paycheque while wealth soared at the top. Entire Indigenous communities lacked clean drinking water. People in Canada and around the world faced deadly heat waves, record breaking floods and destructive wildfires.
There’s no way we can go back to “normal”, when “normal” was gross inequality and runaway climate change. We have a narrow window of opportunity to shape the government’s plans so we come out the other side of the pandemic better equipped to take care of each other and the planet.
But if they get it wrong, they’ll deepen the problems we faced before the crisis hit. That’s why as we rebuild after the pandemic — we must:
- Put our health first, with no exceptions.
- Strengthen the social security net and ensure relief flows directly to people.
- Prioritize workers and communities — that means no corporate bailouts.
- Tackle the climate crisis and build resilience against future crises.
- Build equity across communities, generations and borders.
- Uphold Indigenous rights and work in partnership with Indigenous peoples.
Take action for a Just Recovery: Learn how you can take action.